Monday, February 1, 2010

The Bachelor and Romance

Monday night is reserved for two activities.  I engage in volunteer work on a database for a national dog rescue organization,  and I watch The Bachelor on television.  I have been hooked on The Bachelor this season as I couldn't figure out why last season's bachelorette didn't choose Jake.  This season, Jake seems to be perfect husband material.  Maybe that's the problem.  He is just SO nice. Did last season's star need someone grittier, tougher....less sensitive?  This has brought me to ponder on what women really want.   What makes for a good hero in a romance?  I've read this genre for many years, but I can say that my definition has greatly expanded over the years.  One of the first single title romance books I remember reading was written by Rosemary Rogers. I don't recall the name of the book.  I do recall the plot.  Beautiful woman travels through a canyon where she is captured by a rogue leader of desperados.  She falls in love; he falls in love.  She tries to escape, and the rogue is forced to abide by his own law and whip her with a cat o'nine tails for punishment. I was so tormented. Really. Nowadays, I require some very different charactertistics.  My favorite heroes have a good sense of humor, tend to break the rules, and are at least a little sensitive.  So, I still like the hero to be less than strait-laced.  Maybe Jake needs be a little more of a scoundrel.  He's doing better this season since he gets to do the choosing.  AND he has one version of the scoundrel in his final four ladies. Go figure.

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a Janet Daily book (the one where she gets "whipped") I vaguely remember it. I feel sorry for Jake. I think he should just scratch them all and have a do-over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall our discussions of the "perfect" Harlequin man in high school, and we called him, "Moonriver." Your blog will be fun to follow--can't wait to see where your journey will take you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... I cannot type! What I wanted to say ... I agree with you Audrey. I think he will send them all packing. If you watch his body language & eyes, he's not impressed. I swore I wouldn't watch this year, but I can't help myself. And Kelly ... good one!

    ReplyDelete