Thursday, March 18, 2010

Plotting Along

At lunch yesterday, my friend asked me about the progress of my book, The Waiting Booth.  I am fortunate to have people in my life who are truly interested.  I answered.Then, questions followed about how I knew I was at that point.  I have a plotline for each character pasted on bookshelf in my office at home.  I know what will happen in each chapter with each character. I have subplots galore. This guide consists of a dozen sheets of paper taped together to make one giant map.  I also try to stay cognizant of my page count total and per chapter.

Why I am doing this?  I took a plotting class in January, and this is the result.  I am now organized and on track.  No more chasing rabbits in the story, hoping I'll pop out on the other side of the bushes.  This really all makes sense for me.  I am the one who makes a detailed itinerary for each day of vacation.  I know where I will eat, what I'll do (or not do), how much I will spend- you get the picture.  Sometimes while I vacation, something unexpected does happen. And it's usually lots of fun.  I fully expect this to happen in my story as well.

I have twenty-five percent of my manuscript completed. Chapter seven, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment